Spotlight on Student Council: ALI ROUSH
Meet your FUSA Environment Officer, Ali Roush!
What are you studying?
Honours (Environmental Management)
Is there a quote or philosophy that you live by?
‘If you leave the world a better place than when you came, your life was worth living’
What do you want to achieve this year?
There is more I want to get done this year than physically possible! But the main goals are:
- Establishing an effective and sustainable Environment Collective network, though which all the environment clubs, committees and collectives are able to work together and achieve their goals.
- Improve the waste and recycling system on the Flinders campuses, by installing recycling, 10c and organic bins, and working with the cleaners, staff and students to ensure waste is disposed of correctly.
- Collaborating with students at Adelaide University to begin a campaign to phase out plastic water bottles on our campuses.
- Promote awareness regarding the many social and environmental issues we face as a society, from food waste to the fashion industry.
- And maybe even finishing Honours without a nervous breakdown!
What makes you happy?
Being outdoors, animals, being with friends and family, and getting shit done!
If you were an ambassador for a charity, which one would it be and why?
No idea. There are so many. Anything to do with humanitarian aid, food waste, environmental protection, conservation, etc.
Tell us about what you’re organising or contributing to right now.
- Organising a Waste Awareness Day for the campus (5th of April)
- Working with Buildings and Property to install recycling, 10c and organic bins across the campuses.
- Working with the various environment/ social clubs and groups on campus to achieve their aims, such as getting the university Fair Trade accredited.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
If I haven’t become a nervous wreck, or completely given up on humanity and become a hermit on a remote island somewhere, I’ll probably be working for the government, company or NGO as an environmental consultant or something similar.
What are you recommending to friends at the moment?
Last Stand: Ted Turner’s Quest to Save a Troubled Planet
Who inspires you?
Bill Gates, Ted Turner, Hugh Jackman and every other famous person actually using their fame and fortunes well.