Spotlight on Student Council: CHRISTINE BENNETTS

Christine BennettsMeet your FUSA Postgraduate Officer, Christine Bennetts!

What are you studying and what year are you in?

I am in the 2nd year of my PhD in International Relations. I am looking at the roles of women in genocide and atrocities.

Is there a quote or philosophy that you live by?

‘Maintain your rage and enthusiasm’  – Gough Whitlam. It’s the only thing that gets me through any sort of hurdles.

What do you want to achieve this year?

This year I would like to create my legacy; a Postgraduate Students Association for those enrolled in postgrad degrees across the University. I want this to be an organisation that is able to better support and advocate for Flinders postgrads. Almost every university in Australia has one, and Flinders is lacking in this area.

Personally, I would like to enhance my personal wellness, both physically and mentally. I also want to absolutely smash my research this year!

What makes you happy?

My daughter Lila. She is as stubborn as I am, but she is truly hilarious and clever! My partner Jack is warm and somehow puts up with my crazy ideas, and our animals Remy (our cat) and Juno (our German Shorthaired Pointer).

If you were an ambassador for a charity, which one would it be and why?

It would be for either domestic violence, or advocacy for sex workers. Because I am passionate about feminism!

Tell us about what you’re organising or contributing to right now.

I am in the process of wrapping up the Unibooks textbook grants for postgrads. It was really challenging given the time constraints and we definitely had teething problems, but over 100 postgrad students got books relevant to their degrees so that makes it all worthwhile. I am launching a postgrad survey in the next week or so to really figure out what is happening with postgrads and what issues are impacting their studies and experience on campus. This will go a long way in directing funding and services when we start the Postgraduate Students Association.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Hopefully as a lecturer in international relations! I would also love to grow my family, so add a couple more kids into the mix….you know….to make life easier!

What are you recommending to friends at the moment?

I have reread Harry Potter over and over again since I was like 9 years old. It is my go-to and every time I read it, I pick up more depth in the plot. I love House of Cards, Law and Order: SVU and for trashy unwinding time, Teen Mom (shamefully).

Who inspires you? 

Hermione Granger. She is such a badass.

Everyday women inspire me the most though. I love hearing their stories and their resilience.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.