WriteSkills – language support program

WriteSkills is an intensive language support program run by the Office of Graduate Research. It is available to all international and non-English speaking background Research Higher Degree (RHD) candidates looking to improve their academic writing.

The Program includes one-hour-long consultations with an academic adviser, either through one-on-one tutoring or small group sessions (where applicable) to address the following issues:

• academic language and writing style
  • thesis structure and argument
  • grammar and expression
  • editing and peer review

This is not a proofreading or editing service. Rather, candidates are encouraged to identify their own writing issues and work with an academic advisor to address those issues and improve their academic writing.

An academic adviser, Alison Thorsteinsen, is available for consultations during the times below. All consultations are held in Room 321, Central Library.
Thursday 10am – 4pm
Friday 10am – 4pm

Eligible RHD candidates can book a time to see Alison for one hour at a time through the ‘RHD Student Web Space’ page available to all RHD candidates through FLO at flo.flinders.edu.au.

What previous participants have said:

The best thing about the program was connecting to the skilled people to improve the English language skill.

I took part in the writing program in order to correct my paper for publication. The staff from the program patiently read through all my writing and showed me where the weakness. I appreciate this.

I was provided with someone who can provide insight without having a vested interest.

For more information about this program, refer to the RHD FLO site or email alison.thorsteinsen@flinders.edu.au.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.