What to do if you have placement problems

Placements (sometimes referred to as ‘work integrated learning placements’) are part of many of the University’s undergraduate and postgraduate courses. They can be complex as various groups of people are involved and they are also overseen by specific sets of policies and procedures.

Sometimes things don’t quite go to plan, in which case you might be wondering what to do. It might be helpful to consult the University’s general policies on placements:

Work Integrated Learning policy


Work Integrated Learning procedures 

Placements are also governed by various College guidelines, topic booklets and SAM (Statement of Assessment Methods) documents. As placement requirements vary between different Colleges, the topic guidelines are very important; they provide instructions, conditions and also state grievance procedures.

It is very important that students maintain clear, consistent and respectful communication with all the parties involved in placement. This is crucial to remedy any issues that may come up.

No matter where you are placed, you as a student have the right to a safe and healthy work environment. In turn, all students are required to act safely and responsibly while on placement.

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your placement, or if you are unhappy that your placement has been terminated, you can apply to your Topic Coordinator for a review of this assessment exercise.

Student Assist can help you articulate your grievance, identify your options and point you in the right direction so that you can seek a resolution to your concerns.